Faro is the capital of the Algarve, famous for its beautiful sandy beaches, fertile soil for growing almonds and olives and, of course, great holiday resorts. Faro Airport is a 10-minute drive (6km) from the town itself and a hub from which to explore the area.
Probably the best way to get around the Algarve is to rent a car. While public transport is cheap and convenient in the areas where it is available, you are restricted with regard to locations and time tables.
Hiring a car gives you the freedom to go wherever you want whenever you want. The Algarve has a good road system and plenty of car hire facilities offering competitive rates. Once you’re behind the wheel, the Algarve is your oyster! Discover a wealth of beautiful places, hidden gems and favourite activities including:
- Great beaches
- Some of the best golf courses in Europe
- Gorgeous Algarve countryside
- Excellent shopping at local markets
- Short sightseeing trips further afield to Lisbon, Seville or Gibraltar
While there’s a huge range of choice when it comes to car hire in the Algarve, it pays to be prepared. Here are some essential car hire tips to help you get the best deal.
- Perhaps not surprisingly, car rental in Faro is much cheaper in the off-season. Unless you’re tied to school holiday times, try to book in June, September or through the winter months for best prices.
- Internet prices for car hire are usually much more competitive than ‘walk in’ prices. As a pre-booked customer you can expect to save up to 50% by booking on online in advance, which is well worth doing.
- Faro Airport has an extensive choice of car rental including most of the big brands. But don’t forget to check out the smaller independent car hire companies too as there can be amazing deals to be had.
- If you’re looking for car hire at Faro Airport, some companies are based in the terminal building while others have their office off site, just a few minutes’ drive away. Without the big overheads that come from being based on site, they may be able to offer better deals.
- When choosing the right vehicle for your party, remember that it has to be big enough for passengers as well as luggage. Look out for 7-seater people carriers or 9-seater minibus options for larger holiday parties.
- If you are looking to hire an automatic car, it’s best to book well in advance. Most rental car fleets only have a number of automatic cars available, so if you wait too long you may not be able to get the car of your choice at the price you want to pay.